Fortinet Secures the Path to 5G with Proven Security Architecture and Solutions
“With 5G, mobile infrastructure’s end-to-end innovation will continue to transform into a platform and catalyst for value creation and service innovation. Throughout this transformation, Fortinet’s proven security architecture and solutions provide advanced security for multiple LTE, LTE-A, and 5G use cases to help secure mobile infrastructures, from radio access network (RAN) to the telco cloud, and offers customers carrier-grade performance and capacity with cloud-grade scalability, visibility, and control.”
5G brings both opportunity and risk
The advent of 5G will extend a digital connection to almost every facet of our lives. In many of the somewhat futuristic-sounding new use cases, such as autonomous vehicles, AR/VR immersive experiences, smart cities, ultralow latency, bandwidth, and speed, delivery has been the missing puzzle piece. For years now, the mobile interconnection of all these things seemed inevitable, yet the massive density of connections, all with adequate speed, latency and related services, had so far remained unachievable in all but limited proof-of-concept testing.
With 5G and the impending orders-of-magnitude advances in bandwidth, connection and use case possibilities, there is opportunity for end-to-end innovation as the mobile infrastructure is transformed into a platform and a catalyst for value creation and service innovation. More than ever, mobile network providers will become secure business enablers. For example, service providers will have new revenue generating opportunities in IoT, such as manufacturing automation, industrial telemetry, emergency response systems, robotic surgery, 4K UHD video streaming, and more. However, these innovations will also bring a corresponding increase in the potential havoc wrought by denial of service, advanced threats and other forms of cyberattack on the core network infrastructure itself. Security is an imperative to protect and operate evolving 4G and new 5G mobile networks. These new service use cases need capabilities beyond a stateful firewall, with capacity and reliability to meet service level agreement (SLA) goals for uptime and quality of experience.
- Advanced protection for mobile core network and telco cloud: Powered by Fortinet’s Virtual SPU Technology, FortiGate Virtual Network Functions (VNFs) deliver significant increases in application security performance through innovative security processing optimizations and the latest packet processing acceleration technologies. The VNFs also have a small footprint, boot within seconds, and require less storage, enabling service providers to protect their virtual networks and cloud platform cost effectively. Further, the 5G-ready FortiGate 7000 Next-Generation Firewall Series with SPU acceleration provides carrier security features and functions with industry-leading SSL inspection and application security performance for total inline protection. Together, these
Fortinetsolutions deliver industry-best scale and capacity to protect 5G infrastructures from sophisticated application layer attacks and massive volumes of DoS attacks originating from outside or inside the mobile core or telco network.
- Agility with security:
Fortinetoffers broad ecosystem integrations with leading NFV and SDN vendors for virtual infrastructure. To ensure end-to-end security with innovative 5G services such as network slicing and multi-access edge computing (MEC), VNFs must be delivered dynamically, instantiated quickly and available wherever needed on the network. For efficient and agile deployment and utilization of these security resources, Fortinetdelivers integrations with NFV platform providers like Lenovo, NFV orchestration (MANO) systems from Amdocs, Ericsson, Ciena, UBiqube, NoviFlow and SDN controllers like VMware NSX, Nokia Nuage, and Cisco ACI, and NoviFlow.
- Deep visibility and control for IoT services on edge clouds: Massive scale IoT devices are generally based on lightweight operating systems, which offer minimal security features, therefore they are vulnerable to hijacking and botnet attacks. To remove business risks, the data from these endpoints and the devices themselves require complete protection. Further, service providers offering IoT services via a cloud platform need to ensure multi-tenant isolation, VM and/or container security, and web application protection. Fortinet FortiGate NGFW VNF and FortiWeb WAF VNF protect the edge cloud platform. FortiSIEM provides complete visibility through correlated security analytics and complete visibility to track IoT devices while FortiGate has the ability to learn and profile all connected devices, and apply granular control on different classes of IoT.
Fortinet’s Security Fabric and solutions for securing service provider mobile core networks, IoT and application services are available now.
“Lenovo’s strategic technology collaboration with Fortinet – focused on integrating Lenovo’s performance-optimized NFVi platform offering and Fortinet’s unparalleled security protection – delivers an agile, flexible and secure integrated solution to address the evolving needs of Communications Service Providers.”
“Being a Fortinet Fabric-Ready technology alliance partner and a leader in multidomain orchestration, we are eager to join
- For additional insights into today’s announcement, read our blog
- Read the 5G
Security Surveyby Heavy Reading
- Read the Securing 4G, 5G and Beyond white paper
- Learn more about securing the path to 5G with
- Learn more about our FortiOS operating system, Forti Carrier OS, FortiGate VNFs, family of FortiGate and FortiCarrier next-generation firewalls, FortiGuard security services, FortiWeb web application firewall, and FortiSIEM information and event management solutions
- Read more about the Fortinet Security Fabric or the Third Generation of Network Security.
- Read our blog about the latest Fortinet Global Threat Landscape report or learn more about
FortiGuard Labsand the FortiGuard Security Services portfolio.
|Media Contact||Analyst Contact||Investor Contact|
|Stephanie Vanegas||Ron Davis||Peter Salkowski|
|Fortinet, Inc.||Fortinet, Inc.||Fortinet, Inc.|
Source: Fortinet, Inc.