Fortinet Protects Operational Technology Deployed in the Harshest Environments
"Securing critical infrastructure against cyber attacks is an increasingly urgent priority as the adoption of smart cities and connected utility services drives the convergence of IT, OT and IoT networks. To successfully defend the scope of these converged networks, organizations need an architecture that scales the entire infrastructure for complete visibility, segmentation and integrated protection. Fortinet's latest OT solutions arm critical infrastructure organizations with a broad security solution that spans their traditional IT environments and also provides the advanced capabilities needed to defend critical OT infrastructure."
- The Fortinet Security Fabric enables critical infrastructure and industrial organizations to deliver advanced segmentation, access control, and malware protection needed to unify their security architecture and defend their OT networks regardless of the operating environment.
- Fortinet's ruggedized security products enable industrial organizations to protect their OT infrastructure and devices, even those deployed in harsh environments that would render other security devices inoperable.
- Fortinet's industrial-grade appliances leverage its recently announced FortiGuard Industrial Security Services, which delivers application control and defensive signatures specific to critical infrastructure and industrial sector organizations, including utility, oil and gas, transportation, and manufacturing.
The Convergence of OT and IT Demands Unified, Automated Security
Critical infrastructure is being increasingly targeted by cyber criminals, with a reported 51% of organizations experiencing a SCADA/ICS security breach within the past 12 months. The consequences of a successful attack can lead to the disruption, and even destruction of physical assets and essential services like water, electricity, and fuel.
As the utility, oil and gas, transportation, and manufacturing sectors increasingly adopt connected control systems and Industrial IoT devices, the attack surface is rapidly growing. The connected nature of these devices and systems poses serious challenges as they begin to utilize traditionally IT owned network infrastructure, wireless access points, and mobile networks. The specialized nature of OT infrastructure technologies means that most security and threat intelligence solutions don't have visibility into, let alone the ability to defend against attacks on critical infrastructures.
According to a 2014 Forrester report, "There are fundamental differences between traditional information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT)…S&R (security and risk) pros from IT and OT must respect and accept each other's differences and learn to work together."1
Fortinet's Operational Technology Security solution solves the unique security challenges specific to critical infrastructure and industrial organizations, while unifying the management and administration of both OT and traditional IT infrastructures through the Fortinet Security Fabric.
Security Fabric Protection Tailored for OT Infrastructure
Fortinet's rugged and outdoor products are industrially-hardened appliances that deliver enterprise-class connectivity and security for critical control systems facing malicious attacks, as well as extreme weather and other demanding physical environments.
- FortiGate Rugged Series are all-in-one firewalls that deliver specialized threat protection for securing critical industrial and control networks against malicious attacks.
- FortiSwitch Rugged Series deliver all the performance and security of Fortinet's trusted FortiSwitch line, but with added reinforcement that makes them ideal for deployments in harsh outdoor environments. Management by the FortiGate simplifies operation and extends security policies down to the switch ports.
- FortiAP Outdoor Series delivers secure, identity-driven WiFi access points with management provided by the integrated wireless controller functionality within the FortiGate. Combined with FortiSwitch, this provides for a truly unified access layer with common security policies.
- Fortinet's rugged and outdoor series devices are offered in various form factors with features like superior mean time between failure, electromagnetic interference protection, vibration tolerance, ingress protection waterproofing, wide thermal operating ranges, fanless cooling and power over ethernet.
These devices are controlled by Fortinet's FortiOS security operating system and are backed by
The Fortinet Fabric-Ready Partner Program also enables organizations to seamlessly integrate complementary, third-party OT security solutions with the Fortinet Security Fabric. These deep technical integrations are pre-validated to ensure consistent interoperability, ease of deployment, reduced complexity, and increased automation.
"The energy industry is becoming increasingly digital and thus securely connecting vast numbers of renewable energy sources to critical grid control centers is a significant and growing challenge. We are excited to be working with
- Dr. Jürgen Tusch, Head of Telecommunications, Innogy SE
"Nozomi Networks is a leader in delivering innovative cybersecurity and operational visibility solutions for OT systems. Working with
- Chet Namboodri, VP, Alliances & Business Development, Nozomi Networks
- Please visit the Fortinet Critical Infrastructure Security homepage for more details about Fortinet's security solutions for Operational Technology infrastructures.
Fortineton Twitter and LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Join the conversation on the
• What is the Appropriate Level of Cybersecurity for OT Systems? Cyber Insurers Want to Know.
1 Forrester Brief: S&R Pros Can No Longer Ignore Threats To Critical Infrastructure,
Copyright © 2017 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of
|Media Contact:||Investor Contact:||Analyst Contact:|
|415-572-0216||408-235-7700 x 81612||415-806-9892|
News Provided by Acquire Media